Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The beginning...

I was searching for some topic to pursue as a researcher. I had always been interested in consmogeny, abiogenesis, consciousness, and epsitemology. Each one is fundamental as well as big idea. Having been thrown into the realm of small devices, I started thinking, if the small device needs an entirely new from of intelligence. I came across the idea of Swarm Intelligence, which deals with the emergence of intelligent behavior out of simple actions and interactions among a huge number of almost dumb agents, e.g., a colony of ants (in contrast to Chaos Theory which investigates how simple initial rules can result in chaotic behavior). Small devices can be made smarter so that they are not so dumb as to work exclusively under the rubric of Swarm Intelligence. At the same time, they are resource-constrained in comparison to computers. Intelligent behavior calls for decision-making which leads us to Game Theory. Game Theory assumes that agents are rational and think strategically (in the shoes of others). Traditional Game Theory takes for granted that all agents in a game are equally rational, but in real life that is not the case most of the times. Also, in the digital world, there are diverse devices with different levels of analytical abilities due to resource-limitations which take part in games with one another. How to incorporate asymmetric rationality in agents in games? There is the Bounded Rationality, started by Herbert Simon which puts forth the idea of limitedly rational agents under resource-constraints. There have been some works in injecting limits or asymmetry in the agents' rationality in games. My motivation for openning this blog is to record my thoughts as I explore, learn, and discover ideas related to Game Theory in general, and in particular, Games played by agents with limited or asymmetric rationality. My plan is to see how I go along over a period of one year (till 6 July 2011).

1 comment:

  1. Let's begin the journey. I have all my wishes for the team.

    ReplyDelete